Event Planner Profile: Crystal Rosser

Crystal Rosser, one of our newest marketing and event managers at Georgia Tech, handles event coordination for the G. Wayne Clough Undergraduate Learning Commons and the Georgia Tech Library. We recently sat down with her to learn more about her event planning experience and why she’s never stopped asking questions.

How did you get into the event planning field?

I was a public relations major in college, and my love of building relationships and working with people fostered a natural transition into event planning. 

What is one skill that is essential to event planning?

You have to be flexible; you never know what’s going to happen. Be flexible and stay flexible. Also, don’t take yourself too seriously – stuff happens!

Are there any personality characteristics that would be helpful in this kind of job?

In addition to flexibility, being customer-oriented. You’re being asked the same questions all the time, so you need to remember that, for your clients, it’s the first time they are asking the question.

Explain your typical workday.

I go over to Clough and walk each floor. I then check our event management system and approve new reservations. From there, the day might consist of meetings, checking on events, and doing site visits. I don’t have a general day-to-day routine – which is the best part of my job. As a new Georgia Tech employee, it’s also nice to wander around and become more familiar with the campus.

Are there any things that can help guarantee the success of an event?

I am truly just providing space, but in order for an event to be successful, I have to do more than that. I like to be there for setup and checking in with the caterers. Afterward, I survey the space and assist with cleanup.

Is there any underutilized or overlooked space in Clough?

In Clough? No! However, we do have the Wilby and Neely Rooms in the Library.

What do you consider to be one of the best features of Clough?

I really think the exhibits in Clough are very cool.

If you had one tip to share with an event planner looking to secure space in Clough, what would that be?

Remember, we are an academic space first and foremost and do not approve external groups. Also, remember to always have a backup space when using the Rooftop Garden since it’s an outdoor space.

What advertising options are available in Clough?

Electronic signage is available in Clough Commons. Event planners can contact Dottie Hunt for details on how to post information. We also have message boards in front of labs that can accommodate fliers. There is no process for approval for using these boards.

What one piece of advice can you give new Georgia Tech event coordinators?

Ask a lot of questions. I am continually asking: “What is the process” and “How does this work”?

What are you most proud of in your career so far?

I am most proud of the fact that I’ve been able to work with a very wide variety of organizations – from larger companies, like Coca-Cola and SunTrust, to small businesses. I’ve made connections and built relationships with many individuals I can call upon when I’m in need.

What is the best way to contact you?

Via email at crystal.rosser@library.gatech.edu, because I am out and about in the building many hours of the day. You can also call me at: 404.894.8915; I’m always up for a conversation.

What do you do in your free time?

Hang out with my best friend, 6-month-old Noah, and husband Nathan. When I’m not with them, I watch my other leading man, Mark Wahlberg, in his various movies – Four Brothers being my favorite.

What is one thing you’d like the event planners at Georgia Tech to know about you?

That I am really excited to be here and want to learn as much as I can – not only about my spaces but the other event venues on campus. It’s good to know what else is available if my space does not meet certain needs.