My Pleasure - Customer Service for the Event Planner

Certainly, my pleasure

As a former employee of the Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company, I take great pride in learning from whom I consider to be paramount in providing exceptional customer service. At “the Ritz,” as I like to say, we were trained on 20 fundamental basics, ranging from smiling when you answer the phone to (my personal favorite) owning the problem, regardless of whether the issue pertains to you. And while I can’t comp a Georgia Tech student’s tuition if they are unhappy with a certain service I provide, I do have the opportunity each and every day to provide unparalleled customer service and an unforgettable experience for every Georgia Tech guest. And isn’t that what being an event planner is really all about?

Going the extra mile

As we near the end of spring semester and one of the busiest times of the academic year, I urge us all to think of ways we can exceed expectations and create meaningful opportunities for our guests. Perhaps it’s by carefully reading the special considerations sections in our RSVP databases and going the extra mile to grant a request for a staff member. Similarly, it might be arranging free parking and special meetings with students for donors who have given significant time and treasure to the Institute. Your creativity produces limitless opportunities to make an impact on others at your events. 

They’ve got the idea

Two stories come to mind when thinking of using your creativity to make a difference. The first is from Hotel Indigo, where hotel concierges beat a guest at her own game using customer service. The second is from the Ritz-Carlton’s Amelia Island property, where a stuffed giraffe named Joshie gets the vacation of a lifetime. Certainly, both stories took time and energy to produce from their employees, but the memories they created will be remembered for a lifetime.

What can you do at your event(s) this spring to create an unforgettable experience?